What's new

Suggestion Rejected A realistic breeding system using current game UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heroine

Jan 5, 2018
A breeding system was one of the many systems that during the inception of Dragon's Prophet, was a goal of Runewaker themselves. This thread explores and consults various methods this discarded mechanic can be implemented into the game, exploring potential pros and cons of each method that is approached. Suggestions to add to this idea are welcome, as extra perspectives could shine a light on anything that was potentially missed here.

Upon exploring Dragon Training one weekend, I had an epiphany. Ignoring the fact that dragon training transfers skills, it does a couple of things.
  • You place two dragons of your choosing here.
  • Item based rewards are received, placing them in your lair storage.
  • The training screen has daily restrictions on how often you can perform the action.
upload_2020-11-2_17-48-13.png

A moderately modified version of this UI could be copied and edited in such a way to introduce an egg breeding system.

---

The current egg system greatly undermines the value of wild captured ancient dragons, where 3-4 day respawn timers are averted over egg fragment trading and dungeon drops - that are superior to the harder earned dragon in every way. While this system is too deeply rooted to be resolved in its current state, breeding would allow extra interactions between dragons for bonus acquisition of rarer egg loot with some limitations.

---

So without further ado, enjoy my crappy mockup hypothetical window for breeding dragons
upload_2020-11-2_18-11-28.png

First I must confess if this UI is disappointing for you, and you would rather have a more materialistic non UI version of this system, I'd say it's probably not very possible/likely. However, this at least attempts to introduce the system in a more realistic, post Runewaker way. This would be accessed through the Dragon Lair NPC, as it would make little sense having access to a feature in the field.

Training attempts left is exchanged for Breeding Attempts, using a similar daily limitation with training. The value would not be shared of course as so you don't actually *lose* your training attempts by interacting with this UI. I've kept it at 3 per day just to keep things simple, but this could be altered. Honestly, I couldn't see it exceeding 3 per day in my opinion.

Possible Rewards could be expanded to display more eggs, but there are a lot of tiny nuances to how the rewards system could be executed. Personally, there could be a few ways to employ it, and I don't have the marketing data on what rates would feel 'right' in a game like this. However, here's a couple of ways it could work:-

• A Kind of Simple Way:- The eggs are selected from a pool of eggs permittable by this system, regardless of what two dragons are actually used.
  • A More Annoying Way:- Using some kind of internal flag to distinguish family or rarity, purple eggs are selected to more closely match the two dragons used in the breed system. Marketplace dragons are skipped and in the case both are marketplace dragons, the pool selected is default.
In terms of how the eggs themselves are brought out by the system, this is an example of hypothetical chances:-
Let's say in theory 10% for a random purple egg, 30% for a blue egg, 40% for a green egg and 20% for just dragon experience. Note that this is not a definitive statistic, but merely a theorized one as an example.
The results can be modified at will to determine how many eggs are introduced into the game through this method per day.

Pros and Cons
The potential pros and cons of introducing a system like this are fairly lengthy and even in its simple presentation, would be a headache to make function.

• CON: - Factoring exploitation of the system and because of the way dragons themselves are not tradeable, should drastically limit how many eggs can be produced per day. However character rerolling could pose a problem, especially for dragons obtained through the Gacha system as there is nothing preventing a player deleting a character after trading produced eggs and rerolling. If limitations account wide could be posed, it would be preferable, but probably not as easy to do.

• PRO: - Players can still get rare dragons and 'trade' them in this way, so long as they are sufficiently rare enough to not destroy the market value. Dragons not normally occurring in the game in an egg form (Such as gacha recoloured fables) could be obtained this way, with a very, very low chance (Significantly lower than anything else), allowing other players to potentially hatch something with heightened stats.

• CON: - The system does not introduce any bonding system of the sort. Nothing is really gained by the dragons themselves due to the limitations of the system presented. Feedback would be necessary to refine the idea.

• PRO: - Additional reasons for the player to log in daily and interact with the lair, possibly encouraging the use of other systems the lair also offers, such as Dragon Training and gathering.

TLDR; Just note that this system would not be a replacement to get ultra rare dragons or special marketplace dragons, as that's not the point of it. This would be a way to introduce a form of dragon breeding, with eggs as a reward for nests. This wouldn't solve other long standing issues the egg system has, like waiting around in artecia for eggs to max out.

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
The issue is that there a lot of limitations with doing new systems like this, the biggest one being the UI and how restrictive they are in regards to anything relating to Dragons.

This is one of the things that when you create a game you have to plan it somewhat from the beginning, or have a flexibile codebase to add it later on. Dragon's Prophet matches none of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upcoming Events

Linkbacks