What's new

Dragonpedia?

Chimeric

May 13, 2020
Hey there,

I apologize if the answer to this is super obvious, I've poked around the forums a bit and found lists of upcoming or recently released dragons, but I'm wondering if somewhere there's a comprehensive list of all of the dragons exclusive to this server?

Cheers.

Barracuda

Apr 14, 2020

All the new dragons and how to get them.

Barracuda

Apr 14, 2020
Will be added later

Chimeric

May 13, 2020

All the new dragons and how to get them.

Thank you. =) For some reason I only noticed the 2020/2021 dragons on that list and thought it was incomplete - that's my bad entirely.

Appreciate it!

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
Thank you. =) For some reason I only noticed the 2020/2021 dragons on that list and thought it was incomplete - that's my bad entirely.

Appreciate it!
We only finished our data tool around 2019, and then it took time to learn how to use it with the different data structures for each component of DP (I would say I currently only really know about 30% of the data structures in the game). Each data set has it's own structure and quirks, and some are more complicated than others.

Working and changing things on DP is a very slow process; the game was not really designed in a way that allows for easy or quick development, and much of the game was designed specifically to not be expandable easily. Dragon families are a good example of this, where Dragon families are hardcoded in such a way that there are very few differences, and there is no real way to change or expand on those differences. Bonuses, stats, evolution skills and a few other things are about all the game supports, and expanding that would require completely rewriting the systems in place.

The same goes for a lot of in-game mechanics or systems, where the foundation of those are very difficult to expand or adjust without just having to rewrite the game entirely.

About 60% of the development of DP is having to learn how things are done, why things are done and how to work within the limitations. The last 40% is split between crying and curling into a fetal position for the first 60%, and the remaining 20% is working through tears to try to make changes and fixing things as we can.

Chimeric

May 13, 2020
We only finished our data tool around 2019, and then it took time to learn how to use it with the different data structures for each component of DP (I would say I currently only really know about 30% of the data structures in the game). Each data set has it's own structure and quirks, and some are more complicated than others.

Working and changing things on DP is a very slow process; the game was not really designed in a way that allows for easy or quick development, and much of the game was designed specifically to not be expandable easily. Dragon families are a good example of this, where Dragon families are hardcoded in such a way that there are very few differences, and there is no real way to change or expand on those differences. Bonuses, stats, evolution skills and a few other things are about all the game supports, and expanding that would require completely rewriting the systems in place.

The same goes for a lot of in-game mechanics or systems, where the foundation of those are very difficult to expand or adjust without just having to rewrite the game entirely.

About 60% of the development of DP is having to learn how things are done, why things are done and how to work within the limitations. The last 40% is split between crying and curling into a fetal position for the first 60%, and the remaining 20% is working through tears to try to make changes and fixing things as we can.
I understand. =) It wasn't meant as criticism, just a commentary on my own failings. Working with anyone's code is difficult enough as it is, and I've read enough of your posts by this point to tell that the source code for DP is especially gnarly. I appreciate the work, and I hope that 40% comes with enough alcohol to help carry ya though. ?

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
I understand. =) It wasn't meant as criticism, just a commentary on my own failings. Working with anyone's code is difficult enough as it is, and I've read enough of your posts by this point to tell that the source code for DP is especially gnarly. I appreciate the work, and I hope that 40% comes with enough alcohol to help carry ya though. ?
Didn't take it as criticism, I just usually let people know what the state of working with DP is as some people think it can be easier than it is.

Also I don't think anyone on the dev team drinks (I know Dragon and I don't, and Aiden is the pickiest person in existence, so I doubt that as well).

Aiden

The Sparkle Mom
Jan 13, 2018
Also I don't think anyone on the dev team drinks (I know Dragon and I don't, and Aiden is the pickiest person in existence, so I doubt that as well).
Nope, I don't drink either lol. I just resort to consuming potentially dangerous amounts of sodium and/or chocolate :).

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
Nope, I don't drink either lol. I just resort to consuming potentially dangerous amounts of sodium and/or chocolate :).
We did originally discuss just paying you in beef jerky, sour candy and chocolate.

Chimeric

May 13, 2020

Well then I hope that 40% comes with enough beef jerky, sour candy, chocolate, and/or other dietary coping mechanisms to get you all through. =)

Upcoming Events

Linkbacks