What's new

Developer Update Third Anniversary Development Update

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
It has been three years since we first launched the Dragon's Prophet server, and a lot has changed (at least behind the scenes).

As with the last years update, the biggest change has been the data tool and how far we have gotten with it. We are now able to start adding actual data and the like to the game, as well as find some of the issues that the server suffered (looking at you 102 quests). While we have mostly stuck to smaller things such as adding new dragons and utilitarian items, we are going to start looking at doing other data changes and adding new content soon. Before we start doing more content changes however, we are going to be re-doing our data tool and moving it to a webapp, so that we can have multiple people working on data at one time. You'll notice how we will sometimes have issues with data updates, and that is normally because two people will overwrite each other updates, and it's a bit hard to manage the current workflow. Moving to a web app will mean we can have multiple people working and publishing changes with an approval system, as well as allow us to add people who can do translations so we can do more than just the ENEU language.

Another update is that we have finally completed a compiled client that is in feature parity with the current client; this means that there are no major bugs and that we are looking at releasing an update to run it live. This will allow us to add new functionality and look at fixing some of the issues with Dragon's Prophet stability. One of the first things we are going to start looking at is either updating Scaleform (the UI engine used for Dragon's Prophet) or seeing if the actual UI is portable to HTML. Updating Scaleform may increase performance up to 40%, and work better on modern CPU/GPU, while moving to HTML would give better performance while also giving us more flexibility and the ability to offer a new UI entirely. We will still need to judge which solution is more viable, and which will offer the best benefit to the game. We are still dealing with a rubberbanding issue on the compiled server, so we are still having to work on that as well before we can fully take over what we want to do on Dragon's Prophet, but hey, at least some progress.

Going back to content and data changes, we have fixed and compiled the exporter tool, but have absolutely no idea in how it works, or whether it works at all. Dragon’s Prophet uses its own custom format for skeletons, data models and animations, so once we figure all that out Aiden can start doing some custom models. We have also gotten the map tool to work, though we have not really worked with that much as priorities have been on other things. As with the exporter, we will need to figure out how the tool works and see whether it is in a condition to be usable or if it needs more adjustment.

In the last year we have fixed the Laedis 102 questline and added several new Dragons to the game. While this doesn’t seem like much to some, this is quite a big step considering the complicated nature of data and content in Dragon’s Prophet. It has also allowed us to learn more about the game and how to work out some of the issues and problems that go into working on it. There are still tasks that we have wanted to do that we are still researching (Like B19 territory war), but as soon as we discover them, we will implement them once we know they work without issues.

I’ve mentioned a few of our future and current plans in the paragraphs above, but a few of the things we will be working on initially for the rest of the year are as follows. First, I will be looking at finally finishing up the second part of the Dungeon Dragon rollout; other things have taken priority as each dungeon will require about 4-10 restarts and that is around 15-20 minutes each restart… So very time consuming. Aiden will also begin working on at least one new Dragon soon, though that is mostly dependent on her availability and how in-depth the design she goes with will be. I will also be going over suggestions and plans we have received or discussed internally and see if any of them can start to be implemented into the game at the current stage we are at, or if we can start laying the foundation for future updates now.

Once we reach the next stage of development, we will likely begin looking at releasing the next Laedis equipment set and working on new maps and dungeons. However, that is dependent on getting the proper tools working, learning how to use them, and documenting things so that I can spread out some of the work to others, so I am not stuck doing everything.

Exceddius

Oct 11, 2017
Good luck to you and thank you for the work. It is pleasant to see that development is progressing! Thanks also to Aiden for his beautiful dragons!
If you need someone for French language... :p

Silkshoes

Sep 26, 2017
Thank you for your update, we know you are all beavering away in the background to unravel the messy gremlin work you took over. Thank you Aiden for lovely dragons will add to my wish list for later ;)

Milk & Cookies on the side for you all :D

Winkeyy

Sep 20, 2019
Lovely to hear, can't wait to see these new updates in action, good luck on everything and I wish you the best.

• Staff

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
I need to emphasis that most of the updates we will be working on to start with will be with underlying client changes so that we can look at making the game optimal for newer hardware.

Silkshoes

Sep 26, 2017
That's understandable Seiichi, got to lay good foundations before any building starts. Saves a heap of later problems we hope :D

Dryadia

Holiday Addict
Mar 13, 2017
Thank you for all your hard work, Seiichi and team! And thank you Aiden for the gorgeous dragons!
Keep up the fantastic job you're all doing! Much appreciated! \o/

Dragon Protector

Aug 14, 2017
Congrats on all the progress! I hope everything works out and the exporter tool does not give any issues.

Looking forward to the future with this game :).

Keep up the beyond amazing work Seiichi and the rest of the team :).

edemilsondp

Nov 2, 2016
Hello Seiichi, first I wanted to congratulate you on the work you have been doing on the server.
Do you intend to put the aura effects system by improving the equipment in the future ?

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
Hello Seiichi, first I wanted to congratulate you on the work you have been doing on the server.
Do you intend to put the aura effects system by improving the equipment in the future ?
Need a bit more information on what you mean?

edemilsondp

Nov 2, 2016
In Dragon's Prophet there is a system of auras, they are effects on the characters, this happens as we improve our equipment, this is measured by stars [1-5] as we improve our equipment, a star will fill up and when we complete the fourth star we start to win an aura effect, and this system also brings a bonus.

Seiichi

Manager
Oct 20, 2016
In Dragon's Prophet there is a system of auras, they are effects on the characters, this happens as we improve our equipment, this is measured by stars [1-5] as we improve our equipment, a star will fill up and when we complete the fourth star we start to win an aura effect, and this system also brings a bonus.
If you can find me more details I'll see about getting it enabled or if it's there.

Zalari

Feb 7, 2020
If you can find me more details I'll see about getting it enabled or if it's there.

As far as i'm aware, there is no system that just gives you an aura for starring equipment. I think he's getting confused by the special cosmetic auras you can obtain from Adventurer Insignia vendors, which can only be applied to weapons which have 3-5 stars worth of enhancements.

edemilsondp

Nov 2, 2016
sorry, i forgot to translate the message above into english.

this system is new in the Dragon's Prophet, however, I don’t know much about it because I don’t play on the server anymore, or we’ve already talked to Seiichi in discord and I left a link with images and some information

Lalolalo9

Jun 30, 2017
Here are the things that are currently in progress, and the last main fixes until we have a 'working' code base:

- Redesign the Dragon's Prophet patching system
- Fix level cap restrictions (Laedis, Treasure Hunter Quests, etc)
- Equippable cosmetic wings do not display (this one is probably the most major)

Here are some things that are in preparation, or things that we will be looking into after the initial source code update:

- Fix high quality texture on Windows 8+
- Enable 24/7 War on B19
- Overhaul chat system to prevent trolling and bugs
- Training Dummy in Guild Sanctuary missing options
- Custom & Large Plot improvements

Referring to what you said in Laedis 108 thread.
A lot of issues have been fixed.
Which is awesome and thus leads to the next question (I know we are insatiable and entitled to alot because you spoil us):
What are the next items that we are allowed to know?

Upcoming Events

Linkbacks