What's new

Bug Report Names of exclusive dragons

Eggshell

Member
May 13, 2020
10
4
Hello GMs and hello all,

it is very annoying for players that don't use the English language that there are the following problems with the missing names of the exclusive dragons:

1. No names on gacha in diamond store, so you always have to shut down game, change language rstart launcher, buy, shut down restart.........m to get the porper dragon that you want to buy
2. No names in game. whereever you look at one of these drags you cant see a name, niether dragons lair, arena or the worst that just recently happened to me in ingame comments. As I had collected 275 points for Carmelian warden I went from Dunar to Tanarkin to get it. In the 280s run after the boss kill I saw that counter had resetted to 0. So it had spawned in run 279 without roaming. As I scrolled back the only indicator for the spawn was a line with text as follows: " appeared somewhere in the dungeon". As that was as well before all the boss loot was shown I just had overlooked that. The name of the dragon was not mentioned, just a blank at the beginning of the comment line. :mad:. So I will have to go for another 270 points now
3. No translation of the titles


Would be great as there translators and the translating tool if this could get fixed. Thanks a lot
 

Seiichi

Oct 20, 2016
1,663
1,909
Hello GMs and hello all,

it is very annoying for players that don't use the English language that there are the following problems with the missing names of the exclusive dragons:

1. No names on gacha in diamond store, so you always have to shut down game, change language rstart launcher, buy, shut down restart.........m to get the porper dragon that you want to buy
2. No names in game. whereever you look at one of these drags you cant see a name, niether dragons lair, arena or the worst that just recently happened to me in ingame comments. As I had collected 275 points for Carmelian warden I went from Dunar to Tanarkin to get it. In the 280s run after the boss kill I saw that counter had resetted to 0. So it had spawned in run 279 without roaming. As I scrolled back the only indicator for the spawn was a line with text as follows: " appeared somewhere in the dungeon". As that was as well before all the boss loot was shown I just had overlooked that. The name of the dragon was not mentioned, just a blank at the beginning of the comment line. :mad:. So I will have to go for another 270 points now
3. No translation of the titles


Would be great as there translators and the translating tool if this could get fixed. Thanks a lot
This is something that is going to be worked on, however it is an issue of scale.

Dragon's Prophet has ~277,000 source strings, and about 2.5million words. Most translation platforms charge you by the number of strings that you use, while some charge you by the number of words.

Here is an idea on pricing:

Weblate: 299EU per month for 50,000 strings
POEDitor: 199USD per month for 30,000 strings
Lokalize: 525USD per month for 30,000 strings
Localize: 625USD per month for unlimited words (there are cheaper plans, but to offer what we need for maintaining new strings this is the plan needed)
CrowdIn: 375USD per month for 80,000 strings

It would cost more than what we pay for all of the servers for the whole network to pay to host all of the strings for Dragon's Prophet, and that is per month.

Now, there are self hosted platforms, which we have looked at.

Weblate: This was a nightmare to use as it is built upon Python, and has a lot of dependencies that were prone to breaking. It also was slow even on an over specced server, and did not allow for us to properly update source strings for adding new strings which is a deal breaker.
Tradoura: This is one we looked at, and initially decided against due to limitations in adding strings. There is however an API and CLI option where we can look at automating new string additions, so this may be what we use.
Pontoon: This is by Mozilla, and what is used to manage their translations for their projects. I have not spent much time looking at it, but at a cursory glance it will not exactly work for what we need.
Mirego: This is another I have looked at, however I think there is likely going to be a limitation of scale. I need to test the platform, and see if this is a viable option.

The biggest issue is that Dragon's Prophet has a large number of strings, and many large strings. It literally takes days or hours to import the base strings, and then hours to days to generate the translations. The issue then is whether or not we can maintain new strings (Weblate did not do this well).

So yes, it is frustrating for non-English speakers, but it is a situation where there is little we can do until we can setup the tools to allow translators to actually get the strings needed to translate.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Upcoming Events